Get there with Randall Scott
 
 
 
About Randall Scott
New Items
Current Promotions
 
BLOG ARCHIVE
 

 

Follow Tommaso on Twitter / The Tommaso Blog

Tommaso Twitter Updates

    Wednesday, June 21, 2006

    Randall Scott Lifestyle

    Update: Product we love! 2005 Iron Horse MKIII Team Review

    In continuation from my previous review on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 “Product we love! 2005 Iron Horse MKIII Team Review”, I have since made some minor adjustments/upgrades on my MKIII which I thought worth while mentioning.

    I have had a chance now to ride a variety of trails more than once and am getting a feel for what I am looking for with regard to my suspension. I will focus on the front end for now and address the rear at a later time. The Marzocchi Z1 Light ETA/TAS remains plush and responsive and really, minimal adjustment is required here, but some minor tweaks can really make the difference on the trail. Occasionally when climbing I utilize the ETA system reducing travel, but only on open buff trails. The downside to the ETA is you will lose some feel and performance from the fork, so when ascending more technical sections definitely leave it open, the fork feels somewhat restricted when the ETA is activated. In addition, I have tinkered with the travel adjust, but have found I still have plenty of steering control with TAS on max travel setting. At higher speeds in tighter sections, a few turns on the TAS towards the negative and you will notice slightly more responsive steering. At roughly 150 lbs I have not needed to add any air to the fork and I have the compression dampening in the open position, however, I found 16 clicks of rebound dampening to be a nice fit for the rock garden up at Hall Ranch in Lyons, CO (see link: Hall Ranch in Lyons, CO).

    Handlebar length and position can effect steering, control and overall comfort on a bike while riding. My stock bars (Easton EA70 Monkey) are quality, but should be cut to fit the needs and size of the rider. At a smaller/average build at approximately 5’9, I cut my bars to a total length of 655mm measuring in a straight line from end to end. A simple pipe cutter or a hack saw should make easy work of this. Also make sure to file down any rough edges after you make the cuts. As soon as I hit the trail I found a noticeable difference. Not only did I have better control over the bicycle, my riding position was improved and I was less fatigued after the ride. Oh, I forgot to mention, during this procedure I installed new ODI Ruffian Lock-on grips w/locks for obvious reasons…these babies are sweet and a great compliment to any all mountain machine.

    Headed to the mountains this weekend, possibly for some lift action. Will keep yah posted.

    by Sam (the local Prefontaine look-alike)

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home





    Send Your Comments Here


    Digg!