Get there with Randall Scott
 
 
 
About Randall Scott
New Items
Current Promotions
 
BLOG ARCHIVE
 

 

Follow Tommaso on Twitter / The Tommaso Blog

Tommaso Twitter Updates

    Monday, October 09, 2006

    Randall Scott Lifestyle

    No Rain, Snow, or Laziness Will Stop My Off Season Shape


    I know, I know, summer is slowly coming to an end. The daylight is running away fast and warm weather is almost gone. But have no fear, there are still plenty of things one can do to stay in shape in the winter months so you can be feelin’ good on your bike come spring time.

    There are many options to stay in shape during the cold part of the year. As much as I love riding my bike, I absolutely hate doing it when I can’t feel my fingers and toes due to extreme cold. A simple solution to riding outside is buying a trainer or a roller. This is great because I can stay in my warm house, watch T.V., and still get in a great workout. Not only that, but I can still utilize my bike and stay comfortable with its geometry.

    But if any of you are like me, you would choose sitting on the couch at home over working out in your living room. Another great option is going to your gym and signing up for a spinning class. Not only do I get a great workout, but it also forces me to participate since I don’t want to waste money that I’ve already spent.

    Another option is going to the gym and lifting weights. I see the best results when I use less weight at more reps - this focuses on your slow-twitch muscle fibers which are key for cycling, highlighting endurance as opposed to building mass. Try doing lifts which work several leg muscles at a time like squats, leg press, and lunges. And don’t forget to do several abdominal workouts to keep your core strength up to par.

    These are a few simple things that can be done in the off season to keep a strong base. It is best if you alternate between all three, or participate in other sports like basketball or racquetball. I always find it rewarding when, at the beginning of the season, I’m ready to ride and not struggling to regain my fitness. Good luck this winter and remember the age old adage: when you cheat during a workout, the only person you’re cheating is yourself.

    1 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home





    Send Your Comments Here


    Digg!